Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bathroom's moving along!

Our electrician friend couldn't come this morning, so G. and I did some more work on our own.

He drilled some holes in the joists downstairs for wiring to be run through.

He capped two open junction boxes. One in the attic (no picture--I'm not going in the attic!), and this one in the bathroom:



He installed a new light switch in the kichen:
And he pulled out the toilet:
I just continued with the bathroom demolition.

I'm learning as I go along. The first thing I figured out is that it's easier to get the drywall off around the tub if you take the tiles off first. So I chiseled the tiles off the East wall of the tub surround, and then took the drywall down. Here's that whole wall, down to the studs:

The tile removal is still really tedious, though, so I took a break and switched to another wall. Once the toilet was gone, it was a LOT easier to get the drywall out from there, too. Another wall almost completely to the studs (except for behind the sink):

And I finished up the rest of the West wall, around the door and heating vent:
Then we did a massive cleanup, hauling out big pieces of drywall and bags of little pieces of drywall and tile, and then vacuuming. It's still not as clean as when we started, but it doesn't look so much like a war zone!

We've pretty much decided that, at some point in the very near future, we're going to just turn off the water to the whole house and then we can remove the sink and vanity in the bathroom as well as the sink and cabinets in the kitchen.

No comments: