Saturday, August 16, 2008

Let the demolition begin!

After puttering around and not doing much (or at least not accomplishing much) next door, we spent some time over there doing a lot of little things--and one kinda big thing ;)

I finally finished scraping the paint/tape combo off of the floor in the last bedroom. (The rest of the house is still bad, but since we're not sure what we'll do floor-wise, I'm holding off on that for awhile)

Then G. changed out all the outlets (making them three-pronged and grounded) and light switches in the bedrooms and hall:
Then I cleaned the floors (from my scraping as well as his installing--can't believe the dust, etc. that was packed into the electrical boxes!) and patched up the numerous holes in the bedroom floors (which used to have coaxial cable sticking out of them):

And then the FUN began!

We pulled out as many cabinets as we could. That meant all the high ones, and the one lower one (which had a butcher-block top). We can't remove the rest until we get a plumber to install a turn-off under the sink so we can remove the sink and then the counter and THEN the remaining cabinets.
I cannot describe what was behind/beneath/beside the butcher-blocked cabinet. OMG... I nearly gagged. All I can say is that I *hope* these are the original cabinets, because it looked like over 50 years of filth. Bleccchhhh.... We'd kind of hoped to be able to re-use the cabinets in the basement or at least the garage, but I wouldn't put a thing in them.Oh, and we also received our second estimate on the bathroom (first one came yesterday). The one today fell in the range of the one yesterday--but both are quite a bit more than we hoped to pay. Still waiting on two more...

No comments: