Monday, August 25, 2008

Ooops...

I started the day very sore, but after some Icy Hot, some ibuprofen, and some rest, I felt much better.

Because we've gotten so far on the demolition of the bathroom, we decided to give a call to a glass block place. If we go with a full-service bathroom remodeler, then the window is just one less thing to have them do, and if we end up piecing things together, the bathroom window is one of the first things we'd need done.

After speaking with a very nice rep at the glass block piece, I determined that I'd save some money if I could get the bullnose off from around the glass block (one less thing they'd need to do). This bullnose trim was put on over a mixture of concrete and metal mesh, and it was crazy to take off, but I soon developed a method that involved smashing the ceramic tile into pieces and then chiseling off the cement. This was working great until I was at the upper left corner. I reached back to swing and my foot slipped off the rim of the tub and I went right through one of the glass blocks with the hammer.

Luckily we're replacing the window no matter what, but there's now a hole in it, and glass shards inside and outside the house.

From the outside:

From the inside--notice the lack of bullnose trim, compared to this bathroom picture:

G. came home from work and taped up the hole on the inside and the outside, too. And I called and the glass block place will be here to give us an estimate tomorrow. :)

No comments: